Online roulette accounts for 5% of all online casino gaming. It’s also the second most likely casino game to pay out after blackjack. If you’re thinking about trying your hand at the roulette table, then it pays to know the ins and outs.
In this beginner’s guide, we’ll take a look at all the rules of roulette. Roulette is very much a game of chance, but understanding the basic roulette rules can certainly give you a helping hand at the table. Let’s take a close look.
How to Play Roulette
A roulette wheel contains either 37 or 38 pockets, which the roulette ball, or ‘pill’, falls into after the outer rim of the wheel has been spun by the dealer. Most roulette tables have their pockets numbered 0 to 36 apart from the American wheel which has an additional pocket numbered 00.
The zero pockets are numbered green and belong to the house. The other pockets are evenly divided between black and red pockets.
The aim of the game is to guess which pocket the ball is going to fall in to. Before the dealer spins the wheel, the player must place their bets with markers as to where they think the ball will land.
Different Roulette Bets
There are several different types of bets that can be placed when playing roulette online. These are divided into two – inside and outside bets.
Inside bets are placed directly on one or more of the numbers of the roulette table. We’ve included the payout odds for each type of bet. There are six different types of inside bet:
- Straight (35 to 1) – This bet is placed on a single number
- Split (17 to 1) – This bet is placed on two numbers that are adjacent on the table by putting the marker on the line between the two numbers
- Street (11 to 1) – This bet is placed on three adjacent numbers by placing the marker on the outer corner of the row
- Corner (8 to 1) – This bet is placed on 4 numbers by placing the marker on the common corner of the 4 numbers
- Six Line (5 to 1) – This bet is placed on 6 numbers in two adjacent rows by placing the marker on the common outer corner of the two rows
- Basket (6 to 1) – This bet includes 0,1,2 and 3. Its placed by putting the marker on the corner shared by the 0
Around the numbers for each pocket, you’ll notice several other places for bets. These are called outside bets and they cover bigger groups of numbers. There are five types:
- Red or Black (1 to 1) – A bet on the color the winning number will be
- Odd or Even (1 to 1) – Bet if the number that wins is odd or even
- 1-18 or 19-36 (1 to 1) – A bet whether the winning number is in the upper or lower half of the number on the table
- Columns (2 to 1) – A bet placed on which column the winning number will be from
- Dozens (2 to 1) – A bet placed on one set of the three dozens on the table.
These Are the Rules of Roulette
If you followed these rules of roulette then you already know your way around the roulette table and you’re ready to play. One exciting thing about roulette is that what has happened on previous spins has no say on how the next spin will turn out. The odds are always fresh.
As with any form of gambling always set yourself a limit before coming to the table, and never bet more than you can afford to lose.
If you found this article useful be sure to check out our others for more tips and tricks for online gaming.